Karaka Berry Poisoning
Karaka berries are ripening and falling to the ground from January to April. The kernels of the berries contain a highly toxic alkaloid that can be fatal when ingested.
It is also important to note that the berry kernels remain toxic for a long time, so dogs can be poisoned by eating a previous year’s fruit.
The trees themselves are quite distinct and easy to spot; they have thick dark leaves and can grow up to 15 metres with the berries turning a bright orange colour during fruiting season. These are native trees and are a vital food source for Kereru, so we advise that if you have spotted any in your local area, to keep your dog on the lead or take them to an alternative location for a walk.